Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Off To The Castle!

I’m off to the Castle, aka the hospital, this Friday for a total abdominal hysterectomy (sad face). I’ve been practicing my princess moves in my head (“Honey, could you get this for me,” and “Sweetie, could you please bring me that”). I need to get used to being waited on, rather than the other way around!

As usual, my family is facing this challenge with humor. This is the conversation that I had with DD a few months ago:

Me: Shawna, I have some sad news. Your first home is being demolished.
DD: Camelia Court?
Me: No, honey. Your first home.
DD: Oh! Oh, that’s sad.
Me: Yes, it is, but it’s time.
DD: But Mom! We shared that together! I grew inside of there.
Me: Yes, sweetie. But the uterus no longer plays well with others, so it’s time.
DD: But Mom, they call it “uter-US”, not “uter-YOU”
LOL!!!

We wrapped up our conversation with hugs, and an acceptance that sometimes things are not in our control.

Through this process I have managed to add another “You know you’re a scrapbooker when” that is definitely for the books. “You know you’re a scrapbooker when you schedule your surgery around a major scrapbooking event”! When my surgeon and I discussed dates, all I could think of was, “don’t let this interfere with the Texas Fiskateers event”. Fortunately, holding off the surgery until now has worked well, but it’s time.

OK…I’m off to do laundry, dishes and wrap Christmas presents. Aaackkk! So much to do, and the clock is ticking!

No comments: